CED113 - Organic Chemistry
200 minutes / week
About the course
Course description and learning objectives
Student completing this course will be able to:
• Identify structure, properties, and reactions of organic compounds.
• Assosiate reaction mechanism, stereochemistry and analytical spectra in order to identify molecules.
• Explain structure and characterization of organic compounds.
• Discuss organic compound synthesis and the reaction mechanism.
• Discuss the concept of stereochemistry.
• Assosiate organic compounds analysis.
1. Bonding and molecular structure
2. Functional groups, intermolecular forces, and IR spectroscopy
3. Nomenclature, conformations and hydrogenation of alkanes
4. Stereochemistry: enantiomers and diastereomers
5. Reactions of alkyl halides: Nucleophilic substitution and elimination
6. Alkenes and alkynes I: elimination reactions of alkyl halides
7. Alkenes and alkynes II: addition reactions and synthesis
8. Reactions involving radicals
9. Ethers and alcohols
10. Structure and characterization of organic compounds
11. Synthesis and chemical reactions of organic compounds
12. Reaction mechanisms
14. Spectroscopic analysis of organic compounds
1. McMurray, J. 2008. “Organic Chemistry”, Singapore, Thomson Learning Inc.
2. McMurray, J. and Simanek, E., 2007. “Fundamental of Organic Chemistry”, 6th ed., Singapore, Thomson Learning, Inc.
3. Wade, L. G., 2012. “Organic Chemistry”, 8th ed., New Jersey, Prentice Hall.
4. Klein, D. R., 2013. “Organic Chemistry”, 2nd ed., USA, Wiley.
5. Fessenden, R. J., and Fessenden, J. S., 1998. “Organic Chemistry”, USA, Cengage Learning.